2016년 5월 31일 화요일

2016 May 31, Evaluating current ideas about final research

We discussed about how to write a paper with a presentation of professor lee. The presentation explained not only purpose and structure of paper but also few misconceptions which students likely have. So I tried to evaluate my current ideas about my final research using what I learned from the presentation.

First of all, it highlighted that paper should demonstrate the idea it self not the design idea of prototype. I think that I also focused too much about prototype and final outcome of the design. As my topic is related to data visualization, I was also thinking too much about how final outcome should be look like at very early time. Rather this concern, I have to more think about why choose data visualization as a subject, and which aspect of current data visualization do I want to improve. My motivation of the research come from my previous data journalism project called "Project Syria". I believe that one of the role in data journalism is addressing social crisis, and especially "Project Syria" is aimed to show what affect migrant crisis. So I thought that I can merely answer the first question, however it is still hard to find which part and how can I improved current data visualization. My advisor professor Lee Tony also mentioned that I need to find what "Project Syria" contributed in design area.

Secondly, the presentation explained that ultimate purpose of the paper is not describe project but communicating my idea or argument to the audiences. Again, I thought about what is my argument. In the project, I thought that data journalism project should address the problem and to do this, it should show which factor affect the result of crisis. However, as I'm a designer, I have to set the more detail problem in the final research. Few possible options in my thoughts, but they are not still unclear. I might suggest new type of visualization to show factor of crisis to let people talk about not only symptom  but also reason of the social crisis.

Although, paper is an academic outcome, it should utilise storytelling in order to help audience understand my idea. I have to think about this aspect after when previous issues are solved.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기